How do I retain counsel?
If you are charged with an offense, you have the right to have a lawyer represent you at all stages of the proceedings. A lawyer can help you understand the charges against you and the defenses you can raise. You may ask for a continuance in your case to retain counsel.

If you are not able to employ counsel, you may qualify for a court appointed attorney at no cost to you. Court appointed attorneys are usually present in court and in many cases may speak with you the same day.

If you do no qualify for a court appointed attorney and need information about hiring an attorney, you may contact the Butler County Bar Association at 513-896-6671.

Show All Answers

1. What happens at an arraignment hearing?
2. What occurs during the trial process?
3. Who decides the sentence?
4. What do I do if I am called for jury duty?
5. How do I retain counsel?